The primary purpose of the Praise Team at Heart Of The Shepherd (HOTS) is to assist the Pastor and other worship leaders in the preparation and leading of worship services; focusing on the public proclamation of the saving Gospel of Jesus Christ. This includes but is not limited to singing, playing musical instruments, reading scripture or other necessary texts, dance, dramatic presentations, plus technical assistance with computers, video and audio equipment. We firmly believe that there can be no higher use of God’s gifts than to use them in the public worship of Him.
The team is loosely organized into two groups which rotate one week on and one week off. A typical week would require a 2 hour rehearsal on Monday evening; participation at the Wednesday evening service; a 9:30am Sunday rehearsal and participation at the 10:30am service; or a total commitment of 6+ hours. Sheet music and audio CD’s are provided in advance for the teams to familiarize with what is scheduled.
There is not a formal try out process to become part of the team. Please read through the following 10 expectations of team members. If you are interested in joining us, please contact anyone on the Praise Team or email Pastor John Hile,
- Set aside time each day for personal prayer for yourself, your family, the family of God at Heart Of the Shepherd Lutheran Church, and the circle of friends and acquaintances that God has placed in your life.
- Involve yourself in the prayer ministry at Heart Of The Shepherd Lutheran Church through participation in special prayer events.
- Encourage others to use the weekly prayer request lists provided at church.
- Attend weekly worship services, even if you are not scheduled to help lead worship.
- Schedule regular time for the personal, private study of God’s Word.
- Involve yourself in regular, corporate Bible study opportunities at church, work or school.
- Attendance at scheduled rehearsals is expected. Exceptions will be made at the discretion of the music director. As a courtesy, please contact the music director when you will not be able to attend a rehearsal or worship service as expected.
- Proper preparation is essential to maximizing rehearsal time and bringing our best gifts to the Lord at the worship service. Familiarize yourself with the music, using CD’s, sheet music and other resources provided by the music director.
- Arrive in a timely manner for rehearsals and worship services. If circumstances cause you to be late, please wait for a time to join the team that will cause the least disruption, especially of the worship.
- Live a life that shines with the light of Christ, always willing to help those in need, encourage those in distress and comfort those in despair and in all situations, dress, talk and act like a Child of Christ.
While these expectations are not any different or more stringent than those of any other member of HOTS, we list them because we believe as leaders we need to set the bar high. We also believe He means it when He says:
…From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked. Luke 12:48
It is our prayer that your walk with Jesus will result in all of us making a joyful noise together in Heaven forever.